Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Fairness vs. Reputation

Some people are more concerned about reputation and what others think of them than other people. Some people are consumed by worry. Others don't care at all.

I will admit that when I was younger, I was more concerned about what someone thought of me than I am now.

I've been taught many times that when in business, the "customer is always right". By that I always took it to mean that no matter what, I was to treat the customer as if they were completely in the right, whether they were or they were not.

But I've had clients and trainees who were clearly in the wrong.

I've toyed with the idea of just giving them what they want regardless, and sometimes I do that. But on the other hand, I many times don't give in to that kind of pressure.

Sometimes it's out of fairness to everyone.
Sometimes, however, it's because I want to teach that person something more valuable: like respect, honor, truth, fairness, rightness, responsibility.

My policies are not to do something for one client that I am not willing to do for all. Where would I be if I gave something to one person and refused it to another and the word got out that I was "playing favourites".

So, at the risk of many a trainee unhappy over an issue that is unfair to others, I rule in favour of others. That's just the way it is. Case in point: if you purchase a training product or package and a few days later it goes on sale, I don't make retroactive refunds. It defeats the purpose of the sale in the first place, and it would not be fair to issue a refund to one person and not to everyone.

Is my reputation at stake? Will there be negative feedback passed around about me? Maybe. But I would rather be known for treating everyone the same and being fair to everyone. I don't give in to pressure. I don't give in to being compared with other businesses. I set my policies and then adhere to them in a manner that is fair to everyone, and fair to us at the same time.