Saturday, June 24, 2006

Controling the Urge to Criticize

I can't go into anyone's home any more without looking it over and evaluating it for the furniture arrangement, color, flow, accessory choices and all the other elements for which I have an expertise. Try as I may, I can't help myself.

I'm a trained actor, as well. And the mere fact that I have received training in this area sometimes inhibits my ability to enjoy movies or TV, because I can tell when an actor is picking up their lines from cue cards. When I notice it, my attention is drawn away from the character and the story plot. But most of the time I'm able to get past that and go on and enjoy the presentation.

So it's not surprising that other people react the same way in the areas where they feel they have some sort of expertise or special training.

As you build your home staging (or redesign) business, you must watch out for the temptation to be judgmental about the homes you enter and the projects you bid on. There will be times when you will be called upon to mention something to a homeowner that needs improvement. It's part of what you are being paid to do. That's one thing.

But if you're not being paid to critique something, learn to keep your mouth shut.

Too often people blurt out a criticism, based on their perceived expertise, and only cause ill will that was totally unnecessary. In my experience, those people usually wind up embarrassing themselves because, all too often, they don't have the expertise they credit themselves with having.

There's no such thing as "constructive criticism". Criticism is criticism, and unless you're being paid to give it, it's best for you if you remain silent. That way you won't be in danger of disrespecting others and you certainly won't run the risk of embarrassing yourself.