Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Home Staging: Becoming Successful

Delayed gratification is a very difficult achievement, especially in America. We are so accustomed to fast food (getting fed immediately), microwaves (fast food preparation), credit card debt (getting what we want now).

Delayed gratification, that element that separates champions from "also-rans", is a sacrifice.

I've developed a weight problem in my latter years. Since I know weight reduction is best done in small increments to be healthy, the goal of reaching my total weight loss must be a long term goal. I'm not going to see pounds and inches slipping away by leaps and bounds.

This makes weight reduction more difficult.

There is no immediate gratification and that's coupled with anxiety about what to eat, when to eat and if it will do me any good at all in the end.

In business, that delayed gratification for the end result may mean you can't go away on weekends, or go on vacations for a while, or buy that new latest home gadget.

In business, there are many players. But only a few succeed. That's because only the few will be willing to sacrifice what is needed to attain the end goal.

Lee Trevino, one of the greatest golfers of all time, said, "I learned a long time ago that the best psychology in golf is to hit so many balls that your hands get blistered and calloused. If there's sunlight, there are golf balls to be hit!"

In my own career, there have been many, many weeks I worked late hours, and even 7 days or more non-stop. Yes, there needs to be balance, particularly if you have a family, but there is a need for sacrifice as well.