Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Home Staging Mistakes

Even though mistakes are painful when they happen, over time they become a collection that becomes part of your level of "experience".

Mistakes can also be good things and they inevitably force you to constantly re-evaluate your strategies, tactics and procedures.

Case in point.

I recently placed 3 orders for tutorials: one for Home Staging for Profit, one for Rearrange It and one for Advanced Redesign.

Fearing that I was going to run out of printed versions before the new ones arrived, I requested that two of the books be shipped "2nd day air". Without asking the price difference between 2nd day air and ground shipping, I put the whole order down to come by air.

Big mistake.

Not only could I have just requested 1 box of each be shipped by air, with the balance coming by ground (duh!), I should not have been so panicked.

The difference in shipping cost was more than double and there were alternatives if I had taken the time to think the situation through more carefully.

But this one mistake has forced me to look more closely at our ordering processes and create better records for knowing when we need to reorder.

So look at every mistake as an opportunity to make your business better. For that is exactly what it is.