Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Charging for Home Staging Services

QUESTION
Thank you for all your generous information!!! I ordered "HomeStaging for Profit" and so far I have read about 1/3 of the book.

I have my first potential job referred to me by a friend, and the realtor called me today, she has a vacant 1300 square foot home that she says has been remodeled and needs staging.The realtor wants to know how much I would charge. I am just starting the business, and this will be my first job, so how much should I charge her? Should I look at the home first, and determine style and take measurements of the rooms I'll be staging? I have a moderate amount of accessories, no major pieces of furniture, should I rent what I need? please advise me.

ANSWER
It's pretty tough right out of the gates to get into renting furniture yourself. You can if you want. You'll need to go to the home first, however, and see what you'll need. Then visit rental companies and see what package plans they offer and for how long they last. Find out about delivery and pickup unless you own a truck.

Since you're brand new, I'd try my best were I you to have the homeowner actually rent the furniture and leave you out of the loop. You can help select what should be rented, but try to keep out of the transaction. Less stress for you and puts all liability on owner and rental company, not you.

Price yourself by the day for however long you think you'll be needed. That takes some apprehension away. Don't worry if it takes longer than you anticipate - it probably will. But it's a learning experience, so no matter what you make, it's worth it all of the experience and photos you'll come away with.

So figure out how much per day you need to make to be happy with your compensation. Then assign a number of days needed and you have your estimate. Tell them it will be plus or minus that figure depending on actual timing. Sometimes it's good to give a range: minimum to maximum.