Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Focus on the Client

People always ask me about how to price their services for home staging. It's a difficult question to answer.

So much depends first on what you want out of the deal. That will be different for everyone. Some of you would be satisfied with just making some money. Others will want to be paid more than they presently earn doing other types of work. And still others will want to be paid handsomely for their time, effort and expertise.

No matter what your personal monetary goals might be, if you focus your attention on what's best for your client you'll be far better off.

I just interviewed a salesperson for a granite counter top project. She was nice enough, but her story shifted with everything I said. If I was more interested in a particular color, she would tell me all of the benefits of that color only.

When my attention shifted to a different color, she would tell me all of the benefits of the new color, and only then point out the drawbacks of the previous color she had just praised.

When my attention changed again, she raved about the new color and then told me the downside of the previous color which she had again just praised so highly.

It didn't take me long to figure out that she was going to rave about whatever I focused on and not really be as honest as I wanted her to be. I quickly came to distrust her input and opinions. She was not out to protect me and advise me honestly.

I always tell my clients the whole story without thought to what I might gain or lose in the telling. I'd rather they believe me to have their best interest at heart. It is just one valuable reason why my clients admire and respect me and aren't the least bit hesitant to refer me to their friends and family.

Focus on your client first. The rest will take care of itself.