Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Overcoming Your Staging Fears

What do you have to change in your life to move forward?

What fears do you need to conquer?

Are you afraid of failure or success?

Are you worried about what people will think?

Years ago I decided I wanted to learn how to play the drums. I love percussion and I thought it would be great to play for a band or at church.

When I mentioned my desire to a group of women my age, one of them laughed at me in a mocking kind of way. And because of that, I decided to buy a full set of drums, get a teacher, learn to play and do it in spite of her.

And that's exactly what I did, even though I was nearly 40 years of age, a white woman with minimal natural rhythm.

I learned to play well enough to accompany a women's trio specializing in gospel music. We played at many venues in the Southern California area and I even played with my choir at church.

So don't let anyone mock you and make you feel that you cannot be what you want to be, do what you want to do, have what you want to have. Do it in spite of them.