Sunday, August 13, 2006

When Should a Stager Get Paid?

QUESTION
On pricing my services, please tell me if I am on the wrong track. $1000 up-front and 30 days to pay off the balance. Or even at escrow. Given the area that I currently reside, most of the homes are pretty pricey (as I am sure they are in your area as well... only in California!), so I can command a higher fee than in Pittsburgh, PA. But you never know. Thanks again for all your input and help. It is graciously accepted.

ANSWER
50% up front, balance when the work is done - not 30 days later. This is no different than getting new windows. You give a deposit and when the windows are installed, you pay the balance. The more time that goes by between when you do the work and when payment is due, the less likely you'll get paid. People start to forget what you did to earn the money and they stop being grateful, then they don't want to pay. You have a right to be paid in full as soon as the work is completed.